Resorting to telling them they'll be on Santa's naughty list might not be effective. There are some simple things you can do to ease the tension.
- Enlist your children to stuff envelopes and put stamps on holiday cards.
- Have them help bake cookies. They can stir in chocolate chips and add sprinkles.
- Involve them in wrapping gifts. Just be sure to have an extra roll of tape on hand because kids love to play with it.
- When a squabble breaks out, start singing a holiday song. What child can resist a chorus of Jingle Bells or Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer?
- At the end of a hectic day plug in the lights on the tree, gather your children on your lap and read a cherished Christmas story.